Yea! Memorial Day weekend! Three days to give thanks to the service men and women for the freedoms I enjoy and often take for granted, three days to relax and unwind. Did I do that? No! One aspect of the weekend could be considered traditional: a friend came to visit. But there was no barbecue, no hot dogs or burgers on the grill.
I bought a house here in January. I'm still in the process of moving things from New Jersey with my horse trailer and the assistance of family and friends on both ends. I had made some progress on getting things put away and getting rid of the boxes. My clutter-tolerance level is pretty high, but it does have a limit, to some extent dictated by my desire to sew. (I've been going through a bit of withdrawal.) Also, I'm anticipating the delivery of a long-arm quilting machine! So, although it wasn't perfect, I had cleaned things up enough that I could get a sewing fix when needed.
See? Very little clutter!
But then things exploded!
So much for de-cluttering!
I haven't had television since I moved. My friend brought an antenna and spent a lot of time putting it on the roof, then mounting the television on the wall. It made me gasp to see all of my sorting and cleaning work evaporate! Even though I knew it was temporary, I had to bite my tongue so I didn't sound unappreciative. On the good side though, I now have about 5 stations I can watch, and I can play my DVDs. All good.
One of my sewing rooms (yes . . . I bought a house with space for two sewing rooms!) is going to accommodate two embroidery machines and the long-arm quilting machine when it's delivered. There's a perfect wall for the embroidery machines . . . with no outlets. This job was a bit easier because there was no sheet rock on the back side of the wall, and there was an outlet dangling from its wire on the inside, an easy source of power (something the building inspector missed . . . oops!). The challenge was to locate which breaker in the three circuit breaker boxes controlled the outlet. That took us most of the day on Saturday, a much easier job with two people, night lights, and cell phones.
Now I have 3 outlets on that wall!
There is a walk-in closet next to the room where we put the outlets, the perfect space for my fabric stash storage. But it was a mess, just piles of plastic tubs and cardboard boxes. Now there are 4 shelves and some organization.
I still need to put some labels on tubs, but the shelves made a huge difference.
The lawn mower needed fixing. (I had hit a hidden, almost rotten branch and bent one of the blades.) There was a lot of energy spent on trying to get the blades off, but we finally found the right power tool and did it. Then, working in tandem, we got the grass cut.
Then something that wasn't on the list at all: an old metal shed not located where I would put a shed and in poor condition. I grabbed a screwdriver just to test one of the screws to see if it would turn. It did! I tested another. Before I knew it, this became the next job. Of course, not all of the screws came out as easily as the first dozen. Finishing took a sledge hammer and a drill, but the job is done and the yard looks so much better!
Now you see a shed . . . . . . now you don't!
It wasn't exactly a relaxing weekend, but it certainly was rewarding. What a difference a couple of days and an extra pair of highly skilled hands made, thanks to my friend!
Our Ragtime Staff