As I was preparing for a serger event at the store,
I watched several videos from the BabyLock
Love of Knowledge library.
Some of my favorites are with Sara Gallegos.
In one of the videos she was demonstrating the cover stitch
and was using a serger Open Toe foot. There is a foot
called "Cover Chain Stitch," but the Open Toe foot
I find much more useful.
So, I bought myself the serger Open Toe foot.
The next time I was finishing a knit top for myself,
I happily remembered I had it! The Open Toe foot not only
has a large "window" to see your stitches, but also has
wonderful bright red lines at the back and front of the foot.
With those red lines, you can easily line up
your cover stitches as you come around the
neckline binding or the circle of the hem to
The upholstery and padding are all off of the chair. So...what's left?
In this segment, Nancy will show why this chair was no longer a comfortable seat. Springs, strings and burlap . . . how were they installed originally to support the seat?
(Note: If the video will not play for you, try clicking on the words "YouTube" in the bottom right corner of the video screen.)
By the way, we've only got 3 votes so far on the wing issue . . . should Nancy keep them or lose them? Let us know what YOU think by leaving a comment . . . because YOU might win the chair if you're one of our blog followers! (Spoiler alert: so far, "lose the wings" is winning!)
Don't forget . . . one of our blog followers will win this chair when the series is over and will even get to choose the fabric to cover it! Click here to follow our blog.
I have done a lot of sewing for a lot of people...mostly things like hems, zippers, and pillows or cushions. Occasionally, though, I'm asked to make something that's really unusual. I'm actually thankful for that. I like the opportunity to solve the puzzle.
I met a guy while I was sewing patches for the local Harley Davidson dealership. He is a trapper and had 24 fox pelts. He wanted them made into a blanket. I wish I had a picture of the pelts when I got them . . . all strung together on a piece of coat-hanger with ears, noses, feet and tails attached! Unfortunately, I don't have that picture, but here they are all piled up on a bed.
I'll confess I'm not a hunter, and I don't deal with dead things very well at all so when I was handed the hanger, I had to take a minute to remind myself to breathe . . . among other things.
My cat, Jack, helped me while I was splitting and trimming the pelts. I had to get them into a shape that I could put together somewhat flatly. The animals were all different sizes to start, so the resulting rectangles weren't all the same size.
All cutting is done from the skin side of the pelt, not the fur side. There were thinner and thicker areas of skin, and there were holes where trap damage had been done. I had to cut around these things while trying to keep as much usable pelt as possible. When done, I laid everything out on a bed to fit the pieces together, keeping all of the fur going in the same direction.
I pushed the fur out of the way and reinforced the seams with tape to keep the stitches from tearing out of the leather. Fox hide is quite soft so I was able to sew it with my conventional machine. Even the seam intersections weren't a problem.
I had to cover the seams with something. I chose black fleece. I couldn't attach the fleece to the pelts through the middle of the blanket, so to keep the fleece from rolling to the fur side around the edges, I hand-sewed the tails around the edges along the sides and along the top where the fur had its origin. The fur concealed the fleece on the fourth side because of the direction of the fur growth. (The hair hung off of the edge.)
Here's the finished blanket. And yes . . . it's VERY warm!
Just another tidbit: I did not “let” the fur as a furrier would have. This would have meant cutting the pelts into very narrow strips and sewing the strips closely together onto a fine netting. The spacing is close together so the netting isn't visible. Had I done that, it would have made the finished blanket lay flatter. It also gives fur pieces a softer drape and would have made it about twice as big . . . but it would have taken a lot longer to do.
This project was a challenge, but what a thrill to see the finished product! I also made a pillow out of the scraps. Just had to!
My husband and I went to the fourth annual Roanoke Railroader, a contra dance weekend in Salem, Virginia. There were fourteen two-hour dance sessions between Thursday night and Sunday afternoon, with a potluck, roller skating (and contra dancing on roller skates!), hiking, mountain biking, and laser tag mixed in between.
There were three or four bands, and a DJ spinning pop music. Where our local dance may have thirty people dancing in one line, the Railroader in Salem had two hundred people dancing in four or five. There was often a "chaos line", where the "lady" and "gent" are really "lead" and "follow". Who's dancing which role changes often and shenanigans ensue, leading to a great t-shirt slogan: "Dance with who's comin' at ya!"
It's a good motto because everyone makes mistakes while dancing. They take the wrong step, get off the rhythm--my husband spun someone from the wrong line!--and you just have to keep going. All of this amid a whirl of skirts filling the room with color, cheers from the dancers for good music, the stomp of two hundred feet, and sooooo much laughter.
When my feet needed a rest, I sat down and enjoyed the music, while learning a couple of new board games with new friends and old. The majority of people came from within a couple of hours north or south--between Philadelphia and Wilmington, NC--but there were some from Oregon, and one couple from Australia.
We have to wait until next year for the fifth Railroader, but my husband and I are already looking forward to it, and to the Winter Dream in Dayton this January!
Our Ragtime Staff